If you are looking to connect with someone, nothing beats a live face to face meeting over a cup of coffee. Below are some of my favorites by general location.
- Beware Coffee – 502 W. 30th St. – Excellent outdoor space
- Cherrywood Coffeehouse - 1400 E 38th 1/2 St
- Epoch Coffee - 221 W North Loop Blvd
- Houndstooth Coffee - 4200 N Lamar Blvd Ste 120
- Monkey Nest - 5353 Burnet Road - just south of 2222 on Burnet
- Pacha – 4618 Burnet Rd.
- Red Horn Coffee House & Brewing Co. – 13010 W. Parmer Ln.
- Thunderbird Coffee - 1401 Koenig Lane (2222) in between Burnet and Lamar. Great place with excellent coffee and beer - one of my favorites.
- ALTA’s Café – 74 Trinity St. – Right off Lady Bird Lake
- Caffé Medici - 1101 W Lynn St
- Caffé Medici - 200 Congress Avenue
- Cenote - 1010 E Cesar Chavez St.
- Halcyon – 218 W. 4th St. - A true downtown Austin establishment
- Irene’s – 506 West Ave.
- Juan Pelota - 400 Nueces Street
- Mozart's Coffee - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd. A fantastic place to meet an investor, entrepreneur or co-founder. And the coffee is excellent - another favorite of mine.
- Cuvee – 2000 E 6th St.
- Figure 8 – 1111 Chicon St.
- Flat Track Coffee – 1619 E. Cesar Chavez St.
- Fleet Coffee - 2427 Webberville Rd.
- Flitch Coffee - 641 Tillery St.
- Sa-Tén Coffee and Eats - 916 Springdale Rd
- The Buzz Mill – 1505 Town Creek Rd.
- Vintage Heart Coffee – 1405 E. 7th St.
- Wright Bros. Brew & Brew – 500 Sam Marcos St. – Coffee and beer, both locally sourced
- Bouldin Creek Café – 1900 S 1st St. – An Austin original
- Jo’s – 1300 S. Congress Ave. – A true Austin establishment with fantastic breakfast tacos
- Manana Coffee & Juice – 1603 S. Congress Ave.
- Once Over Coffee Bar – 2009 S. 1st St.
- Patika – 2159 S. Lamar Blvd.
- Radio Coffee & Beer - 4208 Manchaca Rd
- Seventh Flag – 1506 S. 1st St.
- Stouthaus Coffee – 4715 S. Lamar Blvd.
- Summermoon Coffee Bar - 3115 S. 1st St.
Annual Austin Events
- Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival – Great festival for all the hot sauce lovers
- Austin City Limits – Austin’s premiere music festival held in Zilker Park
- Austin Marathon Half-Marathon – Downhill to downtown
- Blues on the Green – KGSR’s annual music series held in Zilker Park. A summer classic!
- Pecan Street Festival – Local artisans and food vendors for the biggest local festival in Austin
- Statesman Cap10K – Major running events in downtown Austin
- SXSW – Once a small tech conference, now one of the major tech and media events in the world
- Texas Book Festival – One of the major book and author festivals in the country
- Trail of Lights – The Christmas lights showcase held in Zilker Park
- Zilker Kite Festival – Great for kids and family
- Austin Parks and Recreation - Need to get outside? Need a place to take your little ones for some fun. Check out the local Austin parks.
- Austin Parks Foundation - If you are looking for something to do, check our the Austin Parks Foundation calendar. I recommend movies in the park.
- Barton Creek Greenbelt – Texas’ version of city hiking, right in the middle of Austin.
- Barton Springs Pool – Recreational natural springs swimming pool in Zilker Park. Get there early!
- Bastrop State Park – Excellent state park, about 30 minutes east of Austin
- Deep Eddy Pool – Close to Barton Springs; smaller, but less crowded
- Enchanted Rock – Great swimming and hiking spot
- Guadalupe River State Park – Great camping and tubing spot
- Hamilton Pool – A short drive out of the side, but well worth it
- Lady Bird Hike and Bike Trail – Unquestionably the best running trail in the country – wraps 10 miles around downtown Austin
- McKinney Falls State Park – Very close to Austin
- Mount Bonnell – Fantastic hike area and for sunset viewing
- Pedernales Falls State Park – Good spot for tubing, watch out for rapids and flash flooding
- Red Bud Isle – Great place to take the dogs
- Texas Rowing Center – Classic Austin establishment that offers a variety of water sport rentals
- Zilker Park – The crown jewel of Austin, great place for a picnic or Frisbee golf
Things to do
- Austin - (austintexas.org) - this site has everything you need for you to get acclimated to Austin ASAP. Shopping, events, food, family and more!
- Austin City Guide by Austin Food Bloggers Alliance - Need a break or need to break your routine? Check out this site and remember why Austin is so amazing.
- Austin Chronicle - News, food, events, music, arts and culture.
- Food - (austin.eater.com) - For the foodie in all of us! Check out all the great spots in Austin.
- Do512family - What to do in Austin with kids.
- Meetups - Pretty much there is a meetup for everything. Whatever your passion - you can find it here.
- UT Sports - Love sports? We have the University of Texas in our own back yard - take advantage of it!
- UT Theater - Not into sports? Check out the University of Texas theater productions.
- Zip Lining - Need a team building event? Want to have some fun with the family? Check out Cypress Valley Canopy Tours.
- BiGAustin - BiGAUSTIN is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing comprehensive training services, one-on-one assistance, and loans to individuals who want to achieve self-sufficiency by starting their own small business.
- Global Innovation Village (GIV) Academy (Austin) - The Youth Entrepreneurship Program (YEP) is a classroom-tested semester-long curriculum (offered in Fall and Spring) for middle school and high school students. In addition, based on the Youth Entrepreneurship Program (YEP), GIV Launch is a local, classroom-tested week-long curriculum (offered in Summer) for elementary, middle and high school students (for grades 5-9) that teaches them how to start and operate a business.
- ImpactLab - ImpactLab hones the execution skills of individuals who share it's passion for educational opportunity. In short, it builds capacity.
- Kidpreneurs - Young Entrepreneurs with Big Ideas!
- Lemonade Day! Austin – The Austin chapter of the national program that encourages entrepreneurship in kids
- Microsoft YouthSpark – Microsoft’s education initiative with local workshops and programs in Austin
- Moolah U - Moolah U offers week-long business camps where students receive hands-on experience in creating their own business, which allows them to learn how money works and how to use their money wisely.
- Startup Kids Club - To ensure that all children are afforded the opportunity to succeed in life beyond the classroom.
- Thinkery - Thinkery is an evolution of Austin Children’s Museum. It’s Austin’s home for “why” and “how.” A place where science and families play side by side. Where people connect with ideas by doing, making and experiencing. It’s a foundry for a new generation of innovators and creative problem solvers. And it’s a heck of a good time.
- VentureLab - VentureLab offers rigorous, standards-based entrepreneurship and science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM) K-12 programs that prepare students for the 21st century.
- YPW (Young Peoples Workshops) - YPW strives to help young people discover intelligent fun through educational hands-on workshops exploring different branches of art, science and technology. YPW offers a unique selection of engaging and very hands on workshops in art, science, music, Spanish, robotics and much more, for toddlers to 12 year olds young people.
- Acton Children's Business Fair - The largest entrepreneurship event for kids in North America. The one-day Business Fair is a culmination of ideas and hard work from great young minds. This is a great event and I recommend attending.
- Austin ArtSpace – Another Austin art museum that offers family movie nights
- Austin Public Library – Lots of family reading events, including a summer reading program for kids
- Ballet Austin – Family events from Ballet Austin, including the annual Nutcracker performance for the holidays
- Blanton Museum of Art – UT’s incredible art gallery with summer programs for kids and the family
- Contemporary Austin – Austin’s art museum has Family Saturdays and kids events throughout the year
- Lake Travis STEM Academy – STEM school with summer camps for kids
- Live Play Grow - A family guide to all things kids in and around Austin, Texas. Parents and caregivers can find local kid and family friendly businesses in our Kids Directory, read about Austin and kids-related news on our Blog, search for camps in our Camp Guide, use our Message Boards, and find local events in our Events Calendar. Awesome.
- Mary Moore Searight Metropolitan Park – Local park with kids and family events and programs
- Pitch-a-Kid - An event where real entrepreneurs pitch their ideas to kids. It challenges entrepreneurs to explain what they do, how they do it and why in an easy to understand format. The kids learn by asking questions and judging the pitches. And hopefully it will inspire the next generation of entrepreneurs to change the world for the better!
- Rodeo Austin – Annual rodeo that includes a kick-off fair and an BBQ cookoff
- Round Rock Express – Austin’s minor league baseball team, often as Kids Nights
- Sound & Cinema – Outdoor movie events at the Long Center sponsored by Alamo Drafthouse
- Summer Stock Austin – Innovative theater company with programs and performances for kids
- The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum – Texas history museum that offers kids events throughout the year
- The Ransom Center – Family events at the UT performing events center
- Topgolf – Always fun for the family and has kid’s tournaments throughout the year
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden – Part of Zilker Park, the famous sculpture garden has family programs and kids summer camps
- Zilker Theater – Outdoor theater with family programs and summer series for kids