Texas Funding - Angel Groups, Venture Capital and Private Equity
Do you have a list of funding resources for central Texas for VC/PE and family offices?
What is an Angel and how is that different from Venture Capital?
An Angel investor is someone who typically provides a one-time injection of funding to your small business or startup. The amounts can vary but usually are anywhere from $10K to $100K. Many times an Angel investor is the entrepreneur's friends and family and generally are focused on helping the business succeed.
A Venture Capital firm invests in small business and start-ups with high growth potential and long term value. The investments are a generally higher risk with a higher return profile with investments ranging anywhere from $250K to $5M+ depending on the company, industry and business model. In addition to capital in exchange for an equity stake in your company, venture firms also provide management expertise, avenues to follow on financing and a superb network for your business to grow.
How can you find out if someone has received funding?
Check out the site FormDs.com as this will help you understand who is raising money and how much. A Form D filing contains:
- Amount of money raised
- Equity or debt issuance
- Industry category
- Names of the executives and directors
- Addresses for the company, executives, and directors
- Other information - brokers used, commission paid
- Aggie Angels - College Station, TX
- Alliance of Texas Angel Networks
- Baylor Angel Network -- Waco, TX
- Capital Factory - Austin, TX
- Central Texas Angel Network - Austin, TX. Ask for Claire England - simply the best!
- Concho Valley Angel Network - San Angelo, TX
- Cowtown Angels - Ft. Worth, TX
- GOOSE Society of Texas - Houston, TX GOOSE (Grand Order of Successful Entrepreneurs) society is a super angel investment group with a proven track record, diverse expertise, and an extensive network that reaches both coasts.
- Hill Country Angel Network, Austin, TX
- Houston Angel Network - Houston, TX
- Lubbock Angel Network - Lubbock, TX
- North Texas Angel Network - Dallas, TX
- Research Valley Funds – College Station, TX
- Southwest Angel Network for Social Impact – Austin, TX
- TEN (Texas Entrepreneur Networks) - Austin, TX
- Texoma Angels - Wichita Falls, TX
- TiE Austin - Austin, TX and worldwide. Supports entrepreneurs by offering education, mentorship, networking, and funding opportunities. Ask for Vivek Bhatia.
- Tyler Texas Angel Network - Tyler, TX
- West Texas Angel Network - Amarillo, TX
- Wilco Angel Network, Austin, Austin, TX
Austin - Venture and Private Equity
- 1839 Ventures -1839 Ventures is an Austin-based venture capital firm that provides funding to high-potential technology-oriented companies
- Alara Capital - Technology
- ATX Seed Ventures - Early stage
- Austin Foodshed Investors – Local sustainable food companies
- Austin Ventures – Technology
- Bandgap Ventures - Early Stage
- Black Diamond Capital Partners - Insurance focus
- Blue Sage Capital – Middle Market
- Breyer Capital - Venture Capital
- Buildgroup - Founded by Lanham Napier, former Rackspace CEO with former Rackspace General Counsel Alan Schoenbaum and former Rackspace General Manager Jim Curry.
- Capital Factory - Tech and early stage
- CAVU Venture Partners - Consumer-focused
- Congress Avenue Ventures - UT Austin alumni investing in UT Austin alumni-connected ventures. Part of Alumni Ventures Group.
- Corsa Ventures - Technology
- Covera Ventures – Early-stage technology
- Dos Rios Partners – Private equity
- DreamIt Ventures – Healthcare
- Dugout Ventures - Venture Capital, Athletics, Baseball, and Private Equity
- Ecliptic Capital - Entrepreneur Capital. It partners with innovators who are creating systemic, network-enabled business value, and, who are on the verge of massive scale, regardless of industry or geography. By focusing on early-stage investments, it maximizes the impact of its operational expertise and helps its partner companies implement the efficient use of people, processes, and technology.
- Elsewhere Partners - After nearly three decades of investing in emerging software companies, we realized that the needs of “Big VC” weren’t aligning with the needs of the most interesting companies. So we decided to start from scratch to serve a burgeoning movement we call Elsewhere Nation.
Elsewhere Partners backs The Outliers: companies who have achieved a lot with a little and are located outside major venture capital hubs.
- Emergent Technologies – Innovation focus
- Escalate Capital – Mezzanine capital for growth companies
- Eyes of Texas Partners - Early-stage technology companies
- Farwest Capital - High growth entrepreneurs
- G-51 Capital – Technology and innovation focus
- Hawkeye Partners – Real estate private equity
- Hurt Family Investments - Brett Hurt
- Hyperspace Ventures - It creates beautiful digital products, brands, and experiences for amazing companies and disruptive startups.
- Limestone Capital Advisors – Tech and medical devices
- Liahona Ventures – Gaming, consumer, health, and wellness
- LiveOak Venture Partners - Tech and early stage
- Lonsdale Capital Partners - Lonsdale Capital Partners is a hands-on private equity firm focussing on the lower end of the mid-market
- Mercury Fund - is an early-stage venture capital firm. With over $275 million under management, Mercury focuses on entrepreneurs and technology innovation originating in the U.S. Midcontinent. Our investment themes target SaaS, Cloud, and Data Science/AI platforms that make the industrial ecosystems of Middle America more competitive and efficient.
- MicroVentures - A platform that gives both accredited and non-accredited investors access to invest in startups. Not exactly a traditional VC, but a great resource for the right startup.
- Mithril Capital - Mithril is a global investment firm cofounded by Ajay Royan and Peter Thiel. Agnostic to sector and geography, we invest and partner with teams who use technology to build valuable and lasting businesses, often in industries long overdue for a change. Each of these businesses is unique, but all face common challenges to unlocking long-term growth. We help navigate these critical inflection points, and we invest in size and with conviction.
- Moonshots Capital - Seed-stage venture capital firm that invests in extraordinary leadership.
- Multicoin Capital - Multicoin Capital is a thesis-driven investment firm that invests in cryptocurrencies, tokens, and blockchain companies reshaping trillion-dollar markets.
- Next Coast Ventures - It invests in entrepreneurs who are building disruptive companies in big markets.
- Next Step Capital Partners - Texas focused. Invests in growing companies in exchange for a share of future revenue.
- Notley Ventures - It funds and supports teams with the passion & tenacity to truly challenge the status quo. Whether it's for-profit or non-profit, it prides itself on funding innovation that creates a positive impact in the world.
- Parthenon Capital - Parthenon Capital (“Parthenon”) is a private equity firm that partners with and invests in management teams and their companies. We take a research-driven approach within our core sectors where we have sustainable operating and investment experience.
- Pasadera Capital - Impact investing, energy, and life sciences.
- Peak Rock Capital – Middle market private equity firm.
- Post Oak Ventures – Mental, health, and wellness. Some consumer products.
- PTV Healthcare Capital – Healthcare
- RealCo Seed Fund - RealCo is the #1 Seed Fund Program for B2B Startups (in San Antonio, Texas)
- S3 Venture Capital – Technology
- Sante Ventures – Life Sciences
- Sentient Ventures – Micro private equity and micro subordinated debt funds
- Silverton Partners – Early-stage venture capital
- Slow Money Austin - Local food enterprises
- Source Spring – Advisory, funding, and heavy non-profit causes
- Spindletop Capital - Healthcare
- Sputnik ATX Sputnik ATX is a venture-backed accelerator for maker-founders.
- Swiftarc Ventures - Swiftarc Ventures is an early and growth stage Venture Capital Firm focused on the next generation of Consumer and Consumer Health disruptors.
- Techquity Capital Management - Intellectual Property
- Texas Venture Labs - Jon Brumley Texas Venture Labs (TVL) is a campus-wide initiative to accelerate startups in taking their innovations to market and to transform graduate students into entrepreneurs and business leaders. The TVL Investment Competition (TVLIC) is designed to mimic the real-world process of raising venture capital. Graduate students present their ideas for new businesses and receive prize money and invaluable feedback from entrepreneurs and investors using Texas Venture Labs’ “Investor Ready” approach.
- TEXO Ventures - Building innovative healthcare companies.
- TPG - Private equity.
- Tritium Partners - Founded in 2013, Tritium Partners is a private equity firm focused on buyouts of growth companies in the lower middle market. For over a decade, the principals of Tritium have deployed over $750 million of equity capital while partnering with talented founders and executives to build market-leading companies.
- True Wealth Ventures - The True Wealth Ventures investment thesis is that women-led companies perform better financially, yet are an untapped market for investors since only 3% of venture dollars go to women-led startups and 15% to those with a woman on the leadership team.
- Trust Ventures - It looks for startups taking on society’s greatest challenges. It is building a portfolio that will bring progress to a range of industries held back by public policy barriers.
- TXV Partners - TXV invests in Seed, Series A, and Series B-stage companies that are changing the ways folks live, work, and play.
- Unorthodox Ventures - Early state Unorthodox Ventures is a collection of companies funded by contrarian entrepreneur Carey Smith, founder of fan and light maker Big Ass Fans.
- Vista Equity Partners - specializes in investments in the software, data, & technology industries, working with companies who have a long-term perspective.
*The firms below have offices in Austin
- Advantage Capital – Agribusiness, manufacturing, consumer products
- ARCH Venture Partners – Emphasis on co-funding build-up
- Centennial Venture Partners – Software and tech
- Centerpoint Ventures – Focus on Texas investments
- NextGen Venture Partners – Little bit of everything, in multiple major cities
*These firms below have investments in Austin
- Adams Street Partners – Little bit of everything
- Battery Ventures – Software, IT, and consumer internet and mobile
- First Round – One of the original funds – invested in major companies such as Uber and Blue Apron
- Floodgate – Digital business and consumer technology
- Institutional Venture Partners – Focus on growth companies
- New Enterprise Associates – Technology and health care
- Norwest Venture Partners – Tech and online commerce
Houston - Venture and Private Equity
- Golden Section Venture Capital
- GOOSE Society of Texas - GOOSE (Grand Order of Successful Entrepreneurs) society is a super angel investment group with a proven track record, diverse expertise, and an extensive network that reaches both coasts.
- Houston Health Ventures
- Houston Ventures
- Jones Capital - Private Equity Investors | Houston and Hattiesburg
- Mercury Fund
- Murphree Venture Partners
- Texas Halo Fund